Top 10 unknown facts about Paytm
Top 10 unknown facts about Paytm. Paytm is an Indian e-commerce and e-payment brand based in Delhi NCR, India. It was launched in 2010. Its parent company is One97 Communications.
Posted 1 year ago in Entertainment, updated 1 year ago.
Paytm is an Indian e-commerce and e-payment brand based in Delhi NCR, India. It was launched in 2010. Its parent company is One97 Communications. The name is an acronym for "Payment Through Mobile". The Company was founded by Vijay Shekhar Sharma and is headquartered in Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India
Some of it’s distinguishing features are:
10. Since it’s inception in 2010, Paytm became the most popular platform for online recharges, wallet and shopping experience. It attracts the customers by giving cash back, free movie tickets. In 1997, while in college, He had started the website indiasite.net and sold it two years later for $1 million.
9. Its parent company is One97 Communications
In 2005, Vijay Shekhar Sharma started One97 Communications which offered mobile content like news, cricket scores, ringtones, jokes and exam results. One97 is the parent company of Paytm, which was launched in 2010
8. Paytm was the first application to provide wallet facility in India. Vijay Sharma got the inspiration to build Paytm during a visit to China when he saw vegetable vendors using their mobile phones to receive payments from some customers. This led to him establishing Paytm wallet in 2013.
7. Paytm is the most secure application. Paytm provides App password for your Paytm wallet
6. Paytm Has 25 million wallets and 3 million app downloads (till Jan 2016)
In 2015, Chinese businessman Jack Ma, owner of Alibaba Group, bought a $500 million stake in Paytm. Ma is estimated to hold 30 to 40 percent of Paytm. Alibaba now reportedly provides assistance to Paytm in order to improve fraud detection and fulfillment systems, among other things
5. Paytm is the only company to have received funding from the world’s largest e-commerce company, ALIBABA with a 25% stake in it. In 2015, Chinese businessman Jack Ma, owner of Alibaba Group, bought a $500 million stake in Paytm. Ma is estimated to hold 30 to 40 percent of Paytm. Alibaba now reportedly provides assistance to Paytm in order to improve fraud detection and fulfillment systems, among other things
4. Also, it is one of the few privileged companies to have received personal investment by renowned Indian magnate RATAN TATA. The 76-year-old chairman emeritus of Tata Sons, the holding company of the $100-billion steel-to-software Tata Group, has invested in Paytm, which is looking to directly compete with online retailers like Flipkart, Amazon, and Snapdeal. This will help in boosting country’s digital economy.
3. Paytm, the innovative app. In 2012, Paytm was awarded “#THEMOSTINNOVATIVESTARTUPOFTHEYEAR” by an event Entrepreneur India organized by Franchise India.
2. In 2014 its app was awarded APPLE STORE‘S BEST APP and its CEO Vijay Shekhar Sharma, #THEMOSTINNOVATIVECEO by Inc. India.
1. Vijay Shekhar was from a middle-class family. The founder studied in a Hindi medium school and picked up English during his Engineering College.
India Today magazine ranked him #18th in India's 50 Most powerful people of 2017 list. In 2017, Vijay Shekhar Sharma was featured in the World Billionaire's List by Forbes. He acquired the 1567th rank becoming India's youngest man to be featured on the list.
Some extraordinary Statics:
Total number of paytm users = 280 million registered users
Number of ACTIVE paytm users = 80 million
Number of paytm transactions in 2016 =1 billion
Number of paytm user sessions in 2016 = 2 billion
Average number of daily paytm transactions = 5 million transactions
Average number of weekly transactions per user = 18
Total number of payment merchants = over 5 million
Number of offline merchants that accept paytm = 850,000
Average monthly order made using paytm = 60 million
Number of paytm app downloads app up to date = 100 million
Percentage of Paytm app usage coming from android = 70%
Percentage of Paytm app usage coming from iOS = 4%
Percentage of Paytm business that is from offline transactions = 65%